Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am 

Lesson 1 Exercises:
A. Three keys to establishing a successful foundation for permanent change in early recovery are:

1) actively committing yourself to change
This is not my first time seeking recovery from addiction. I have had many consequences and many opportunities over the last 6 years since I first entered treatment. I have struggled and slipped and relapsed many times. The last 6 years have been a total rollercoaster and I am now 29 years of age and “tired of this lifestyle” doesn’t even fully describe how I feel. In fact, words cannot do justice. I have had seriously painful wake up calls, legal situations etc that I thought would scare me into changing my ways and they haven’t. I also have had dreams come true and thought they would be enough to motivate me to stay sober and healthy – they did not. So I am now at a point where there is simply the fact that I am just genuinely tired of this life and where it keeps leading me. There are no major consequences at the moment….just simple frustration and bewilderment that I have let this lifestyle continue for as long as it has – given the opportunities I have had. I have repeatedly messed up my life to the point of boredom, I am actually bored with the unpredictable rollercoaster! I’m done. It is up to me now, I am the only person responsible and I am now finally accepting the reality of my life – and further more the reality of what is required from me in order to move forward, passed the initial stages of recovery and into a truly healthy lifestyle. I love the idea of moving beyond recovery (eventually) and into a full health based lifestyle….

2) not allowing guilt/shame to sabotage your commitment to change
This could be a tough one I’ll admit. And there are circumstances in my life and the life of my family that are unfolding at the moment….in terms of a possible health situation with my mother that could ultimately be life changing for her and for all of us. And if this does turn out to be an illness then that will hit me hard in terms of guilt. But it will be another few weeks before we know the results. But I am already feeling guilt around this situation and how I have treated her over the years. It’s tough, but all the more reason to make the most out of the present and the future. And ultimately that is the key to this whole thing….focus on the present and the future…especially when the pain of guilt and shame arise, which they do. So yes, guilt and shame over the many things and choices I have made etc over these last few years is something I will inevitably experience….its up to me whether I allow them to take over and obscure my truth and commitment or simply feel them and release them/channel them into something else. i.e a walk, writing, yoga, a little cry and so on….and pick myself up and continue on with my commitment to change as best I can with compassion for myelf and others. In fact yes, compassion here is vital....and the practice of forgiveness....as best I can.

3) allowing yourself time to change.
Patience, patience, patience…..that really is what I need to remind myself of and practice. I feel as though I have wasted so much time I want to blast through “to the other side” and be done with this endless loop I have been stuck on for far too long. But ultimately, it will take time….and part of me thinks I know it all already…so adopting “beginners mind” and practicing patience and acceptance of things as they are….is key to allowing myself the time to change. And I feel once I am engaged actively in my recovery, then the ‘urgency’ will ease off and I will be able to appreciate the journey and trust in my own commitment and so, allowing things to unfold in their own time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm 

Look deep inside and list ten to fifteen reasons why you seek to permanently change your life.
1. To be transparent in all my dealings with people in my life, most of all, my loved ones, family and friends.
2. To experience graceful and contented maturity as I grow older and as life moves on with each passing year. To be grateful for my life and the choices I made.
3. So as I can truly explore and reach my creative potential and full self-expression. I am now about to enter my last year of my art degree. I plan to apply for a Masters and to achieve completion of a Masters over the next 3-4 years. I want live a life of creative self-expression in everything I do, through each and every day. Not just in terms of traditional artistic means, but in terms of food, conversations, clothing and just in everyday life both with self and others. That I can be creative and artistic each and every day. And to build up a career as an artist/therapist….
4. To be present in my relationships (of all kinds) To really be able to listen, to really be able to hear, to act out of a place of contentment and truth rather than fear, denial and manipulation. To see my loved ones for who they truly are and to accept them and love them and be there for them in whatever way I can.
5. So as I can achieve and maintain physical wellness and optimum health. To build up a consistent health routine based on yoga, meditation and exercise. That I integrate these into the core of my being.
6. To achieve financial stability – stability in all areas of my life. Emotional, mental, spiritual and sexual.
7. So as I can have a healthy, intimate and sexual relationship with another human being that is based on respect and the genuine growth of both our souls.
8. To be able to achieve and maintain a healthy social circle of genuine friendships and a healthy social life in general.
9. To have fun! To actually be able to have some fun in life. To travel, to have adventure, to push myself, to go to festivals, to play….
10. So as I can genuinely build up a life the is self-sufficient, yet interdependent and based on healthy choices and one that involves caring for others and the planet itself. We are in a crazy time globally and my own life needs to be one that doesn’t add to this craziness, but rather helps to ease it. “To bring peace to earth, strive to make your own life peaceful”. I want my life to be one of inspiration, rather than disgust. To live simply and beautifully. I love nature and animals and creativity, and I want to build a home, an environmentally friendly home in nature, a space that I can call my own and helps to replenish my soul and creative flow.
11. I love the idea of becoming a therapist of some sort in terms of body work/ energy healing. To build up a practice alongside my creative journey.
12. To embrace a spiritual path, am thinking the shamanic path. One that involves nature and healing.
13. So as I can read and learn and explore so much about being alive, the world, life itself. Science, astronomy, the ocean etc….there is so much out there to learn about. To constantly be expanding my mind, life and my comfort zone....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:52 pm 

Lesson 2

Life Vision

• My life vision begins with me completing the last year of my degree and attaining the highest standard. To really throw myself into it and develop myself as an artist and discover my creative flow and ability.

• I am going to apply for a Masters in creative therapy and also build up and apply for training in body healing such as Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy. I am going to explore working as an artist – yet also have a practice in healing therapies. I am going to develop my writing to a level where I will publish a book and/or start a blog. I see myself starting my own business and collaborating with others. I am going to build up this diverse yet complimentary career path over the next 3-5 years.

• My life vision is about using my 29th year to lay a solid foundation for my 30’s. To build up my recovery and transition to health based lifestyle. To build up and strengthen my sobriety. To complete the Recovery Nation programme and integrate it into my life.

• This next stage of my life is one of self respect: the ability to accept my own limits and to truly practice self care. To make choices based on my values and long term goals.

• I am going to take care of my body, I am going to nourish my body, inside and out. I am going to develop a routine of deep self care and nourishment of my body.

• I am going to quit smoking and commit to never again developing a habit that destroys my body in any way. I will progressively strive towards eliminating any toxins from my life and body, such as tobacco, sugar, fluoride and so forth. I will detox my body and build it up with healthy foods and lifestyle. This healthy lifestyle and nourishment of my body through routine self care on all levels will continue and strengthen as I grow older.

• Moving forward with my life – I want to have an anchor within myself. To have an internal support system that I can rely on. I want to be able to trust myself.

• I want to deepen my intellectual depth and ability through reading and studying different topics about life. Science. Mathematics, astronomy, astrology etc. I will do crossword puzzles and brain training, always strengthening the muscles of my brain and developing and embracing neuroplasticity.

• This year and beyond is about getting financially stable and independent. I want a financially secure life. I will work when I can, I will start a savings account and build it up. I will keep on top of payments and rent and other bills.

• My life will include exercise through joining a gym, jogging and learning to swim properly. I want to mountain climb more often. I want to achieve physical fitness.

• My life will be organised, so as I can enjoy freedom and remain flexible.

• I also like the idea of studying and practicing astrology and starting an online business with astrology and maybe tarot readings. Over the next 3-5 years I am going to build up these three areas, and start my own business/career/practice.

• Travelling - I am going to start travelling and visit relatives abroad. I am going to go to cities for a day/weekend and explore art art galleries. I am going to attend retreats and festivals abroad.

• With my family, I am going to truly step it up and work at making the most of myself and most of who they are, warts and all. I will be a mature son and brother, able to be there for them, to be able to listen, to be present and see them for the beautiful people they have always been. I will work on healing my own hurts and continually practice forgiveness and acceptance. I will allow myself to grieve for what is gone and to move on with my life – and the life of my family as it is today.

• I am going to work at building up and maintaining a healthy social life and friendships of close genuine friendships. I will no longer allow unhealthy, destructive, toxic people into my life. I am going to have a truly healthy support network of people in my life.

• I am going to work on, build up, enjoy and experience intimate sexual relationship(s), to perhaps marry one day. But if not, at least to just experience healthy sexual relationships based on respect and helping each other grow.

• My life will include festivals and having fun! Eating out in nice restaurants, having friends and family over to my home for dinner and vice versa. I want to embrace food and really start getting creative with food and building up food as a wonderful social tool that it truly can be. Healthy, colourful, vibrant, tasty food. From breakfasts to snacks to 4 course meals. For me and the people in my life.

• I will experience self-realisation/healing rituals, such as Shamanic rituals, sweat lodges, ayahuasca ceremonies, Vispassana retreats etc…

• I will live my life by practicing random acts of kindness, sending people letters and cards on their birthdays, or just to say hello.

• I’m going to have my own home. At some point in my 30’s or 40’s I would like to find a place to buy/renovate/build. In this home I will have a studio for my practice. I will also have a garden to enjoy nature, grow food and will have some pets. I want a home by the sea, with views of mountains. One with many fires and big gardens and big old baths, inside and out. I want to have moon ritual parties, dinner parties and extravagant celebrations of life events.

Last edited by Free2fly on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm 

Lesson 3 – Values

1. Creativity
2. Education
3. Financial independence and security
4. Fitness/exercise/movement
5. Spiritual integration into daily life and interactions.
6. Respect
7. Shamanic ritual and practice
8. Sobriety
9. Intellectual depth
10. Friendship
11. Family – to strengthen my role as a brother and son
12. Forgiveness
13. Humour
14. Creating a home base
15. Animals
16. Nature
17. Social life
18. Film, literature, music
19. Flexibility
20. Kindness
21. Food - healthy food
22. Sexual intimacy
23. Relationship
24. Self – realisation
25. Knowledge
26. Transparency
27. Boundaries
28. Goals
29. Self-discipline
31. Establishing competence in my field
32. Being respected as a professional by others
33. Being dependable
34. Being reliable
35. Being dependable
36. Being reliable
37. Loving-kindness practice (love)
38. Physical beauty
39. Masculine/feminine balance
40. Walking in nature
41. Giving and receiving respect
42. Society/community
43. Humble/humility/gracefulness/gratitude/acceptance
44. Non-judgement of self, others
45. Letting be
46. Self acceptance – ability to respect my own limits
47. Success
48. Organisation,
49. Beginners Mind
50. Curiousity
51. Generosity
52. Balance
53. Spontaneity
54. Consistency
55. Commitment
56. Adventure/travel
57. Calmness, relaxation, stillness, quiet time, peace
58. Slowness, appreciation
59. Awareness -
60. Intellectual depth, debate, communication
61. Communicating feelings
62. Experienced in conflict resolution
63. Practicing compassion in daily life
64. Accepting responsibility for living my life
65. Open-mindedness

Dark side Values
1. Controlling/manipulative of self, others, situations
2. Greediness/selfishness
3. Close mindedness
4. Isolation
5. Paranoid, mistrusting, defensive, keeping people out
6. “Fake”
7. Attention seeking
8. Irresponsible / avoidance
9. Chaos
10. Laziness
11. Immaturity
12. Inability to achieve intellectual depth
13. Fear
14. Destruction
15. Dishonesty, hurt, anguish. Pain, misery
16. Debt
17. Betrayal
18. Inability to focus, achieve and complete tasks
19. Inconsistency
20. Stupidity
21. Lack of boundaries
22. Toxic friendships and relationships
23. Ego
24. Confusion/lost/bewilderment/frustration
25. Unable to sit with myself
26. Escapism
27. Denial
28. Lack of creativity
29. Hatred
30. Self loathing

Last edited by Free2fly on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:57 am 

1. Sobriety and abstinence
2. Creativity - Daily art making. Establishing my art practice in sound, video and movement
3. Education, attainment of my degree
4. Financial independence and security
5. Fitness/exercise, achieving a healthy body and work out routine.
6. Spirituality - integration into daily life and interactions.
(Shamanic ritual and practice)
7. Self acceptance – ability to respect my own limits
8. Success – to establish my career – artist/body work/therapy/astrology/writing/teaching
9. Intellectual capabilities/knowledge – achieving my minds potential, sharpening and expanding my mind
10. Friendship – to achieve and maintain healthy friendships
11. Family – to strengthen my role as a brother and son
12. Forgiveness / acceptance / non-judgement / letting be
13. The body – learning about, healing, therapy, minding, caring for my body, movement
14. Self-discipline, daily self-discipline towards my goals – and also just in my general day to day life, taking care of myself and my life.
15. Food – building up my knowledge of and practice of cooking and baking – enjoying food
16. Humour, fun, playfulness, to take myself lightly
17. Nature – getting out in, sea/ocean – gardening – mountain climbing
18. Social life – achieving and maintain a healthy social life, eating out, cinema, festivals etc
19. Sex and sexuality – expression of my sexuality in healthy creative way, intimate sexual connection, respectful, caring sex life, intimacy.
20. Loving-kindness practice –practicing it, integrating it, bringing it into my daily life with others, random acts of kindness
21. Relationship - the building of a healthy intimate relationship with another being
22. Self – realisation – exploring my own self through retreats, rituals, practices etc
23. Transparency – in all my relationships and doings with other
24. Goals – setting and achieving goals, responsibility.
25. Providing quality in my work
26. Establishing competence in my field
27. Being respected as a professional by others
28. Being dependable
29. Being reliable
30. Physical beauty
31. Embracing, healing, expressing my masculine and feminine qualities
32. Walking in nature
33. Giving and receiving respect
34. Success – to establish my career – artist/body work/therapy/astrology/writing/teaching
35. Organisation, of everything from big to small – keeping on top of things, having a diary, allowing my life to organised so as it can flow and allow me to flexible
36. Intellectual growth, debate, communication
37. Balance – of own self, mindset, emotions and life in general
38. Spontaneity
39. Consistency
40. Commitment
41. Adventure/travel
42. Calmness, relaxation, stillness, quiet time, peace
43. Slowness, appreciation
44. Awareness - through each day
45. Intellectual growth, debate, communication
46. Communicating feelings
47. Experienced in conflict resolution
48. Practicing compassion in daily life
49. Accepting responsibility for living my life
50. Open-mindedness
51. Curiousity – of life itself
52. Generosity – to give my time, energy, love to others – in a manner that is respectful of own limitations
53. Helping the world in some way, a social cause, getting involved in politics, raising awareness for something, volunteering, setting something up like a centre etc….connecting with others to create positive change in the world
54. Humble/humility/gracefulness/gratitude/acceptance for and of life, as I grow older, with each day to live with these values and mind set, towards self, life, others
55. Non-judgement of self, others – to keep the focus on my own goals, path, life…

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 am 

Lesson 5 – Value Congruence

2. Creativity - Daily art making. Establishing my art practice in sound, video and movement
(attainment of my degree)
3. Financial independence and security
4. Fitness/exercise/movement/kundalini yoga
5. Spirituality - integration into daily life and interactions.
(Shamanic ritual and practice & Loving-kindness practice)
6. Sex and sexuality – acceptance and healthy expression of my sexuality, respectful sexual connections, building of intimate relationships.
7. Success – to establish my career – artist/body work/therapy/astrology/writing/teaching
8. Intellectual capabilities/knowledge – achieving my minds potential, sharpening and expanding my mind
9. Friendship – to achieve and maintain healthy friendships and support network
(Social life – eating out, cinema, festivals etc)
10. Family – to strengthen my role as a brother and son
11. Forgiveness / (self) acceptance / non-judgement / letting be
12. Self-discipline, daily self-discipline towards my goals – and also just in my general day to day life, taking care of myself and my life, being organised and on top of things
13. Food – building up my knowledge of and practice of cooking and baking – enjoying food
14. Building of my own home/base/space
15. Nature/travel/mountain climbing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 pm 
Recovery Coach

Hello F2F
and welcome to this programme
Quote:
Patience, patience, patience…

for sure this is a fundamental requirement for the journey of recovery but beware complacency
you have made a good solid start hats off to you
but do be mindful of
Quote:
This is not my first time seeking recovery from addiction.

lets get it done this time
if you really do want to improve your life and to recover from your addiction then you are at a good place to make that wish reality
Commit , fully and completely
work through the lessons and understand them , if you miss something ask on the help forum , assistance is always on hand
coaches and mentors are likely to drop by occasionally but if not, don't worry as this is generally a good indicator that you are on the right path

the path is long and difficult but it is well proven and you are not alone
we usually suggest completing about 3 lessons a week but spending time every day posting and reading
get to know your addiction and see yourself with honesty and openness

remember to work at your own pace and its not a race indeed some consider recovery to be a journey rather than a destination

your reasons for change are generally solid as they are positive and about you
remember the only person that can make these changes is you, so the hard work needs to come from you
looking forwards to reading your posts and wishing you all the best

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am 

Thank you Kenzo for your words, much appreciated. Am very grateful to have found this programme and am determined to see it through. Thanks again, F2F.

Lesson 6

Developing a Pro-Active Action Plan

• To continue with my commitment to the Recovery Nation Programme – completing 2-3 lessons per week.
• To remain sober from alcohol/drugs within the new context I am learning from RN
• If needed, to attend AA when move back to city to complete college. Simply as a social support system.
• Join a ‘meet up’ group that does not revolve around alcohol, or some other type of social group that meets one every week or so.
• Maybe look into attending counselling sessions – again when move back to the city over next few weeks.
• Do some sort of exercise each day, i.e a walk. Look into joining a gym.
• Focus my energy and time towards studies and 4th year.
• Take it ‘One Day at a Time’
• Practice mediation daily

2. Creativity/Degree

• To attend and complete this last year of my degree. Get accommodation sorted and move down to city.
• To aim for the best mark I can get, to really push myself and immerse myself in a creative flow.
• To develop my practice with sound, video and movement. To really push myself and develop it as much as I can over this coming year.
• To be building up my drawing skills, attend life drawing classes if possible. Otherwise to simply have a drawing pad and to use it each and every day.
• Apply for the Masters – even if I don’t get it/choose not to do it – apply for a Masters.
• Read. Read, read – practice for thesis, throw myself into reading, anything and everything. Commit to getting all the help I can get with thesis. Spend time in library.
• Use the facilities and the tutors, ask for feedback, help, support.
• Attend all classes, workshops, talks, trips etc that are relevant and available.
• Start visiting galleries, exhibitions and other events in the city related to art.

3. Fitness/exercise/movement/kundalini yoga

• For now to go for a walk each day
• 2/3 times a week, do kundalini yoga practice and try out some of the meditations
• Learn more about kundalini yoga
• Start back into jogging – either over next week or so, or when have moved back to city. Build up alternate days with yoga.
• Look into joining the gym, check prices etc and see if it is feasible. Save up for it if needed.
• Continue with research on Continuum Movement and see if it is possible to do for thesis.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:24 am 

Yes wow OK - am back after a few months away. And back after a recent "binge" that I posted about in the community forum...

A binge over the last 4/5 days and kind of became a living nightmare. As someone had control over sexually humiliating material of myself and posted them online, threatening me with the use of the material to have control over me. However, that after some communications that person has thankfully deleted the site and has let me be. But for 2/3 days it was intense and I did not know what he was going to do. I couldnt sleep, barely ate, could hardly leave the house and missed college etc and just, it felt so horrible that someone had such control over my life....and that I gave it to them!!!?????

I then also engaged in unprotected receptive anal sex with a stranger from a hook up app, which means I will need to get tested and will have to wait 3 months to be able to test for HIV. As I have been in this situation before and swore would never do it again.....

So now I have deleted all apps, sites etc, and am just trying to get myself back to "normal" and continue with my AA programme for my sobriety from alcohol going on 4 months now......and am now back with RN to pick myself up from where I left off and continue this journey also.

Because actually, I need to share my "sexual story" for want of better wording....and I find AA works for me at the mo in terms of booze, but for my sexual recovery.....RN is where this healing needs to be....

I am sure my "story" will come up as I go through the lessons...but just for now, I just need to start to get some of it out.....

Basically, I am very self destructive through my sexuality. It's not that I am out every night/day/week having all this sex, far from it. But my sexuality is based on very self deprecating belief systems. It is full of shame and self hatred....I think maybe even internalised homophobia. In fact, I know that is part of it.

In fact, just with what happened over the last few days.....I can see now that my sexual belief system is very much based on three broad "beliefs systems"....One about my father, who left when I was 5.... so I am looking for "Daddy", connection to him, to a father figure....

(I did not know it at the time but my father sexually abused my sister for over 10 years.....and this needless to say messed up the family quite badly....there was also a family court case that went on for a further 10 years until my father finally went to prison when I was 15......I only found out about this whilst I was being sexually abused myself by a Reverend from my school...by reading very detailed court case files in the attic when I was 14.....this really messed me up.....and yea, can see now this all just added whole other layers of messed up shame and toxic crap to my sexual belief system)

The other is about being gay and bullied when I was younger.....by guys that were my friends until they found out I was gay....and starting to be called all the usual names of poof and faggot etc....which are now part of my sexual identity....in a very destructive way....

And third is about being sexually abused....and feeling just...very confused and sick and disgusting for "enjoying" it and "wanting" it....up until I found out about my Dad and what he had done.....then I just got messed up...

All of these situations and experiences had taken place by time was 14. And my sexuality since then has been built upon the distorted self perception I have of myself...with no self respect and lot of self hate....

I have NEVER experienced a sane, loving, healthy sexual encounter or true intimate relationship. I am more comfortable having sex than going on dates....I have 3 dates in my life.....one of which led to the only relationship I have ever had, for 8 months with an older man, when I was newly sober.....and was ultimately based on sex...that became quite unhealthy and damaging to us both....5 years later, we still are in random touch for sex that is degrading to me....

And this whole "faggot" side, is quite disturbing as there is a lot of online "support" for this type of sexuality. And brain washing hypnotherapy etc that I have tried....luring me deeper and deeper into a world inside myself that is ultimately pure suicide. It is this part of me that is TOTAL self destruction and it just.....it genuinely is like a split personality thing, I just.....its bizarre. And I cant make sense of it all now....but bit by bit I want to unload all this and work through these lessons and just finally gain clarity around this maze I find myself in....

I don't even know what else to write - and part of me is unsure about how much to say/not say etc....as it is quite embarassing and am also aware that I do not want to be too sexual/triggering in my writing...or to be too intense or whatever....but it actually feels such a relief already to write down just even a little bit of this "sexual belief system" I have built up over over my life time.....and to finally be able to channel it and dissolve it and put it somewhere and allow it to crumble....so as I can build up a new belief system where I can truly enjoy my sex life finally....and be intimate and sensual and loving...and promiscuous if that's what I want....but just not in such a self hating, self destructive manner that could see me end up diseased or hurt in some way, or back drinking, or see my life just damaged through exposure of humiliating sexual material.

Toxicity......that's what my sexual life has been about. Toxic sexuality, toxic belief systems, toxic everything......

So yes, I just needed to write something and get some of this out of me and start actually using this resource. Writing really helps me and I need to "dump" this toxic stuff out of my soul to create space for healing and new energy to come in.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:46 am 
Recovery Coach

Hello F2F

Quote:
So yes, I just needed to write something and get some of this out of me and start actually using this resource. Writing reallyhelps me and I need to "dump" this toxic stuff out of my soul to create space for healing and new energy to come in.

OK you wrote something to enable you to start the next step
take that step, you have nothing to lose

Quote:
Toxicity......that's what my sexual life has been about. Toxic sexuality, toxic belief systems, toxic everything......

life is so much more than sex
can I suggest that you re visit your vision
review the things that you wrote almost a year ago
reflect on this and then make a choice
recovery requires action and effort
are you committed?

you should be, you need to be, you are

so please do get on with it :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe: :pe:

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo