Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm 

Hi! Im new to this sight and was writing my first topic. I wrote quite a bit that took a couple of hours and when i was done i chose the save button and it directed me to sign back in. I was wondering if by anychance my work had been saved so I would not have to rewrite it.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 pm 
Recovery Coach

Hi MRSDiseker1,

Sadly, no, it wasn't saved. !D

This is a problem with the board that has probably affected everyone here at one time or another. What happens is that if you take too long to write a post, or leave the window open too long then come back, your login times out. If this happens again, just hit the "Back" button, and usually your post will still be there -- then you can copy it, sign back in, and post it.

However, what I usually do is copy my message before I click "Post," so that if that happens, my post is copied -- then I just sign back in and paste it into a new Post window. Or, the most safe alternate is to write your posts in Word or another program on your computer, then copy them in.

Hope that helps! Sorry about your post!

Boundless

"Be a lamp unto yourself." - Buddha

"The obstacle is the path."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 am 
System Technician

I checked the board settings for this issue and there are two numbers that come into play - how long your session (ie login) stays valid for, and how long you have to submit a form (ie write a post).

The form timeout was set to two hours, but the login timeout was only set to one hour.

So I've now set the login timeout to 3 hours, and the form timeout to a little less than that. Increasing these timeouts puts additional load on our Webserver's memory, so I'm reluctant to do more than tweak them until we see if there's any impact.

This may help, but it's always good advice to save your post in some other program (eg Word or Notepad) before hitting that submit button because you never know when some glitch or other could wipe out your carefully crafted words.

Personally I always just "Copy" ie CTRL-C the whole thing before I submit and that usually saves me from trouble.