Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reading a new book
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 am 

I came across a book which has been absolutely eye opening for me. Its by Lundy Bancroft and its called Should I stay or should I go: A guide to knowing if your relationship can or should be saved. I read the whole thing yesterday (it was short) and found it profoundly validating. It articulated things I have been struggling to explain. It is aimed at people experiencing abuse in their relationships and I found it really accessible and practical. Lots of checklists and reflective exercises. A good adjunct to RN, I thought. I don't have a kindle but I downloaded the app and read it on my computer. I'm sure the coaches and mentors are familiar with the book, maybe we can add it to the Amazon RN book list?

Calli

Post subject: Re: Reading a new book
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 am 

I love this book. It never helped me come to a final decision but it was the most comforting book (in my extensive self-help library) at those times when I felt that I would burst if I didn't make my mind up! It usually helped give me the reassurance that I wasn't overreacting; it validated my feelings that things weren't right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 am 

Can I jump in here and make another recommendation - possibly not for partners right at the beginning of their healing process. I read lots of books early on that I wasn't really ready for, and I would read them all through quickly hoping that the answers I needed/wanted would be revealed before the last page :s: I'm ready now for 'the happiness trap' by russ Harris - I read a few paragraphs every day. Book was suggested to me by my husband.

Lzzie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:52 pm 

Calli, thank you _thank you_ *thank you!* for recommending the Bancroft/Patrissi book. I got it from the library and am on my way out to buy a copy today. It has given me some new info and ideas that have been extremely helpful. I haven't read the whole thing yet but have found many valuable bits of practical wisdom. I agree it could be a useful adjunct to RN for partners. I've come across at least one concept that contradicts something that is often stated at RN, but for the most part it harmonizes well. The authors are very credible, and their compassion shines through.

Thanks again, this is one of those books that apparently has crossed my path at just the right time. (Well, 5 years ago would have been better, but the book wasn't published until 2011. Better late than never...)

Taffy