Post subject: Re: Book List/Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:46 am 
Partner's Mentor

I agree. This is hard to find.
Nellie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:20 am 
Partner's Mentor

I was wondering if our SysTech could possible move this books forum so it can have it's own line on the first page?

Just a thought.

itfm

"The past has no power to stop you from being present now. Only your grievance about the past can do that. And what is a grievance? The baggage of old thought and emotion." - Eckhart Tolle A New Earth

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm 
General Coach (Admin)

You mean have it as it's own forum section?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 pm 
Partner's Mentor

My thought was that it would have it's own line on the forum where members can view the books section when they are not logged in.

I know that I don't log in unless I'm going to post and this may be true of others too. That way it's more visible to everyone and will possibly drive more traffic to the Amazon site?

Just a thought -

itfm

"The past has no power to stop you from being present now. Only your grievance about the past can do that. And what is a grievance? The baggage of old thought and emotion." - Eckhart Tolle A New Earth

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 am 
Partner's Coach

For what it's worth, I almost never look at anything other than the partner's support forum and my personal thread. Came across the forum one day when I was scrolling down and noticed "suggestions/resources" and clicked to check it out. Each time I have "come back" here I have to really think about where the heck I found it to begin with. And now I know why it isn't always visible, because I also only log in if I am going to post. Even a sticky thread at the top of the support forums with direct links to here would help.

I know folks who organize forums always want to have all these categories for organization, problem is that little gems get missed if they aren't "where" people usually go. Just saying.

I'm all for organization but a nice 'beginner's guide' pinned at the top of the support forums would be a nice way to find your way around here and find resources that for the most part remain hidden to most.

"What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 am 
Partner's Coach

And I forgot why I came here to post. :s:

Spiritual Cinema Circle http://www.spiritualcinemacircle.com/
I have found I really like this service. Each month they send out a dvd with high quality tv entertainment. It includes things like movies, short movies, documentaries etc. The selections are often by smaller name directors and actors and actresses but they are well made. I got the first month's selection just for the shipping cost so it isn't outrageous to try. Anyway, just thought I would share this as I have really enjoyed it.

"What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.

Post subject: Trust
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am 

In going through lessons I struggled with ideas of rebuilding trust, what it was when you break it down, how to assess it, etc.... I guess I like things clear cut :ex:
"The Courage To Trust, A Guide to Building Deep and Lasting Relationships" by Cynthia L. Wall was just that. Clear cut, easy to read and understand, and gives tons of activites within it to address multiple issues of trust in relationships. Great book to do with your partner if they are in a place from which they can engage trust in a healthy way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 am 

"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker

A book I found years ago that helped me to better understand fear, it's benefits, and how it could be utilized to keep us safe if we understand what it is telling us. It really breaks things down. The book is developed to address overt safety concerns like Violence but if you can generalize concepts then it will also "gift" you with the ability to understand why you are scared when a partner or you "threaten your values" and then help you to better construct boundaries that can protect those values leading to an increased sense of safety and self trust. The book goes a long way in validating how our 'gut instinct' is trying to tell us something, how to understand it, and then apply it.

Happy Reading!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am 

Not "Just Friends" Rebuilding Trust and Recovering Your Sanity After Infidelity
by Shirley P. Glass, Ph.D

This book is easy to understand, interesting to read, and helps to clarify the process of how betrayals occur. If you are rebuilding your marriage and are looking for constructive ways to implement boundaries for yourself or as a couple and protect what you value than this book is full of ways to do that. This is another book that, depending on your circumstances, would be taken and generalized to your particular concerns. I am all about being proactive and this book clarifies what happens and how we find ourselves in situations where we betray others. I would only suggest reading this book if your intention is to utilize it for constructive boundary setting as it may "fuel the fire" for those that actively play detective with their spouse. This would be a good book for couples trying to understand and construct mutually shared boundaries to protect their marital values.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am 

"What Your Child Needs To Know About Sex (And When)" A Straight Talking Guide For Parents
by Dr Fred Kaeser (Former Director of Health, NYC Department of Education)

This book is great!!!! If you are concerned, like I am, about the generations to come then this book will be very useful. This book does not come from a religious view but a very strong value based approach. The author basically maintains that if a child constructs their intimate relationships with three basic tenants that everything will line up in a healthy way. The three tenants? Love, Respect, Trust. He is blending a research based, value based, and practical approach to parenting in areas of sexuality. As I was reading it I could not help but think "If I would have been taught this I would have been set up for success in my romantic relationships".
I had a moment of blaming my parents :no: then I got over it and became very excited about how I could use it to affect the legacy that I leave for my own son. Yay!!!!!!!! :g:

Happy Reading!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:15 am 
Partner's Mentor

Hi Nellie,
Bumping this up so folks know how to use our links to Amazon.

Quote:
Hope Cheryl doesn't mind me jumping in here but can confirm that RN gets commission from anything you buy at Amazon (including additional purchases), so its not only from recommended books.

Whether you use the search boxes at the top of the affiliates page or the recommended books links - anything you go on to buy will contribute to RN (and none of your personal information gets passed to RN so your privacy is still maintained as usual).

You can use these RN affiliate links to the Amazon homepage too:
USA - Amazon.com
Canada - Amazon.ca
UK - Amazon.co.uk

newme

Nellie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 am 

Recently, I stumbled on this book....It's a compact guide...I'm including it in suggested reading in case someone else finds it helpful. For the partner it is validating and for the 'unfaithful partner' it is very useful and healing information.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:05 pm 

"Your Sexually Addicted Spouse" by Barbara Steffens. Get it now!!! It shows me I am living through real life trauma similar to living through an earthquake. I am Severely Traumatized by my husband's betrayals. This book helps you cope heal and provide hope.