Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:16 am 
Recovery Mentor

Lesson 54: Decision-making

I've just gone back through this lesson again and been struck once again by how compulsive behaviour resulted in me developing a "dual identity" over so many years. I was struck by the following line:

Quote:
it becomes necessary to eliminate the existence of such a dual identity if the pattern of addiction is to be eliminated. Specifically, the fusion of the social core into the inner core. To build a healthy foundation for life, all life experiences must eventually be connected with the development and maintenance of an individual's inner core.

I feel as if my journey through the workshop has really caused me to become a much more whole person. Over time, the 2 aspects of my identity have become fused together and it no longer feels as if my inner core is radically separate from my outer social identity. That's a fantastic gift and I want to take a moment to recognise and appreciate how special that it. It really was so exhausting to live with a kind of split identity, outwardly projecting a certain morality and set of values to the world while inwardly I was drifting ever further away from that as I made more and more unhealthy decisions. It can be all too easy to forget sometimes how much progress we have made, and its a good idea to remind myself every so often of how bad life often was beforehand. I'm so thankful to have a strong and healthy core identity now based on my values, especially now that I'm working in a job where my moral leadership is so important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10