Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Values To Manage Life
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:06 pm 

Hello RN community,

I find myself in a position where I am starting to integrate the intellectual information into my actual life. It’s exciting, yet at the same time I have a lot of questions…specifically with utilizing healthy values to manage my life.

I have a few questions:

When you’re anticipating you’ll be very stressed and busy for a certain time period --- do you plan to utilize certain values compared to other values? How do you learn which values are better than others for managing your life? I feel this is more of a trial & error, but would love to hear people’s processes.
For example, if you started a new job…would you focus on a value like “strengthening relationship with wife” to help balance that stress?

Do you find yourself using 6-8 values per week? How did you start implementing this if you were living a life focusing on 2-3 values per week? I’m just wondering…because I think for me I need to start making a schedule to track all of my values.

I’ve struggled with consolidating values in the past. I know I need to build a system to help balance my energy instead of letting one value become an addiction ie. filmmaking for me. how have others allowed their values to manage their life, while still allowing themselves to pursue their passions?
My addiction mindgame tells me I can’t do both --- but I’m desperate to prove that sonofab* wrong.

After health monitoring phase 1, I know that it’s mentioned that certain action plans should become automatic. Does this mean that…when the healthy action plans become automatic…that you just continue to do them after the two weeks? Is that what it means about building the foundation? I think I’m answering my own question here again….

Thanks in advance and stay in health

-fm fka lostkid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 am 
Recovery Coach

Hi LK
Quote:
I find myself in a position where I am starting to integrate the intellectual information into my actual life. It’s exciting, yet at the same time I have a lot of questions…specifically with utilizing healthy values to manage my life.

recovery, change, evolving will always bring questions but in my experience recovering thus living brings those answers naturally
perhaps you are over intellectualising recovery

life in recovery should be more value than emotion based and biased, but emotion should not be excluded
for example your values should bring happiness

in early recovery addicts need to think values and their implimentation but as recovery takes a hold then those healthy life choices become ingrained and natural

unfortunately the contrary is also true
hence addiction takes us over
but in this regard you / we do have that trump card CHOICE

live a little my friend learn whilst living and stay clean thus completing that journey from LK to FM

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:03 pm 

hi Kenzo,

just wanted to let you know that i think i am finally starting to understand your post. i did not at first. i was confused. it did not give me what i was hoping to hear. but i realize...it's only through experiencing life through health...that things start to click and start to make sense.
it's like driving a manual car...and i think i'm starting to learn how to shift gears without stalling. sure i can stall in the future, yet i can learn and grow from all of them.