Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 pm 

Hi RN Community,

I’m just curious how others on here have succeeded with creating a break from sexual / romantic thoughts.

I think for me…I’ve had the most success whenever I invited curiosity and allowed myself to just sit with the thoughts. However, after my slip on 3/25/21, I clearly feel like I needed to work on creating a “quicker” break.

In short, every time I feel like I’m physically taking a break from the thoughts (looking down at value list, doing some stretching, etc.) --- I feel like it’s adding more fuel to the fire and like my brain resists it more. It’s almost like I’m telling myself “don’t think of an elephant” and of course I’m thinking of one.

I’m not sure if this resistance is expected? I know I shouldn’t accept it, yet I feel like NOT accepting the thoughts as just thoughts, just allows the sexual thoughts to ramp up.

note the thoughts that happen are just like...random flashes. they may last like half a second or less than a minute...but they're just like these annoying bees that seem to be following me all day. and i feel like i have honey on my hand and whenever i swipe at them there are more bees around me !D may be a combo of living at my parents' home for the past few months instead of in my own apt, or just trying to force the break...

I think I just need to relax..and accept that this process will take time...because I think my brain wanted to find that “turn off sexual thoughts” button yet it’s not there. maybe I won’t need it over time because I’ll recognize that the thoughts don’t have any power over me unless I allow to give it to them.

appreciate any insight!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 am 
Recovery Coach

Hi LK

Quote:
I’m just curious how others on here have succeeded with creating a break from sexual / romantic thoughts.

ANYTHING

that is anything HEALTHY

Shaw a member here once said
"look at the sky, its always there, its contantly changing and its free"

that simple principle works
why make things more complicated ?

is recovery easy?
is it hell
but is it do-able
When you want it sure thing

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo